Over the last month, we have talked a lot about bankruptcy filings and why you shouldn't be afraid of the process. There are many steps you need to take in order to properly get through your current financial picture, but it can be successfully done. One of the most important things you can do when you are considering bankruptcy is get legal counsel. Bankruptcy is complicated, and doing it on your own is not advised.
We at McBride Law have been helping the good people of Alexandria, Louisiana for years with their bankruptcy filings. We can help you at every stage of the bankruptcy filing. Before your filing gets going though, a consultation will need to be done and there are some critical pieces of information you should bring to help you better understand your situation, and to help us provide the best possible counsel to you.
When you meet with us to discuss your situation, have these critical documents ready:
- Pay stubs from the most recent six months of work, or any workers' compensation or unemployment checks you have collected.
- Your last two years of tax returns, and the last three months of bank statements
- Know which creditors you owe money to, and bring this list of creditors to your meeting
- The amount of debt you owe and any notices involving wage garnishment or foreclosure are critical
- If any of your creditors are suing you, bring in as much information as you can about the lawsuit
Remember, bring as much information as you can. If you don't have every document or bit of information in the above list, don't worry. The consultation will still be an effective step towards freeing you of the stress your financial life is causing you.